The SINGAPORE INDIAN THEATRE & FILM EXPLORERS PTE LTD also known as S.I.T.F.E. is a social enterprise that educates & empowers individuals with knowledge and essential tools to produce, act in or direct films & theatre productions. The enterprise provides platforms to showcase an individual’s creative potential and hidden talents, paving opportunities for employment, life-long learning and skills development.
Our social goals include targeting social beneficiary groups such as ex-offenders and disadvantaged youths to improve their lives and promote their growth as individuals by giving them the opportunities to integrate back into the society via creative projects in the arts and media industries. Our objectives also include: providing our target groups with safe and credible platforms to learn about film and theatre productions; creating an environment to develop the beneficiaries’ confidence, self-respect and will power; and providing employment opportunities for sustaining a livelihood.
Created in April 2016 by Saleem Hadi, S.I.T.F.E was formed to address the needs of individuals looking for opportunities to showcase their artistic talents; create professional portfolios; network with like-minded and goal- oriented individuals; and address social needs and challenges as a social enterprise. The Arts have a proven record as a therapeutic form for individuals who have been in a constrictive or troubled environment. Using the Arts as a pedagogical tool, S.I.T.F.E aims to unlock potentials of people and impart a sense of authority and pride in one’s own abilities; thus, making them responsible citizens.
The primary target beneficiary group are ex-offenders and as employees of S.I.T.F.E, ex-offenders will don the role of crew members in film or theatre productions and be trained to become facilitators for workshops in the Arts. This would provide them with an opportunity to challenge the difficulties of getting employment in other non- Arts related industries; build on transferable skills; and assimilate to society.
The Director of S.I.T.F.E, Saleem Hadi, had previously worked as a trainer in the Theatre Arts Programme (TAP) at Changi Prison, where he discovered the benefits of his filmmaking workshops and the positive effects that it had on the inmates, who then used those acquired skills for employment opportunities after their release. Using this experience as an inspiration, S.I.T.F.E aims to bring this opportunity to ex-offenders on a much larger scale.
S.I.T.F.E was initiated to call out to people (students, youths, adults, senior adults) who are interested in areas of film and theatre and are looking for platforms to:
1) exercise and increase usage of Indian languages
2) learn more in areas of film and theatre,
3) share ideas and make them more possible to execute
4) network for collaborations in newer works.
5) increase independent works coming from Singapore
1) Not enough funds as an individual to do short films / theatre productions
2) No crew for one’s projects
3) No idea how to get ideas for short film/theatre theatre productions
4) Have ideas, but no knowledge in executing them
5) Not knowing how to market one’s creative work/s
6) Not knowing how to develop them
1) S.I.T.F.E. to be the main ambassador for Indian theatre & film representing Singapore, internationally.
2) S.I.T.F.E. to have a dedicated group of full timers who believe in the Organization and the roles they play.
3) S.I.T.F.E. to be the group that churns out impactful works that appeal to local and international audience.
4) S.I.T.F.E. to be the most approachable organization one would want to grow with and develop themselves.
5) S.I.T.F.E to be the most favoured organization for local and international collaborators/artistes to do events/productions with.
Saleem Hadi is an active contributor in areas of arts & media for the past 15 years. He won the REEL STUDIO’s CANNES 2008 DISTINGUISHED COMMUNITY DOCUMENTARY AWARD for his...
Piriya is currently working, as a teacher in a special needs school. She takes on active roles in S.I.T.F.E.’s events. She interchangeably would play active roles as a scriptwriter, co-director,...